Sunday, July 16, 2017
Lots of exciting stuff happening in the home decor life of yours truly!
First, I moved into a new house. It is actually quite an old house; it is the cottage in the backyard of my parents' 1900's house. And before it was a home, it was actually a barn for the main house. After the 1906 earthquake, when housing was desperately needed, it was converted to a dwelling. It has gone through many changes since then, but I'm pretty sure there is still some hay under the floorboards. There will be more info on the renovations we did, as well as before and afters of the rooms. Come back to the blog for those updates.
And lastly, we've been getting into making our own furniture. I say "we" because James is primarily doing the constructing, but I still want some credit. Since we've been doing a lot of work ourselves on the new house, it was a great excuse to boost our toolbox. We purchased a mitre saw, a circular saw and a nail gun, all of which have been upping our handiness enormously.
My sister has been looking for a new coffee table for a long time, and she's always admired my coffee table, the same one we used growing up(you can read about it here). So we decided to build her one, based on the original. She wanted something at the same height(14 1/2"), but smaller in length. So we purchased 7 feet of a 2x8" poplar board. We cut that in half to make the tabletop, so the dimensions of the top are 3 1/2' long, by 16" wide.
First we got all our tools together: wood dowel pins, dowel centers, measuring tape, level, pencil, furniture glue, drill, hammer and sandpaper.
Monday, January 30, 2017
My lovely friend and consultant, Laura, recently bought a lovely studio apartment in an old Art Deco building in downtown San Francisco. When I toured the building with her, one tenant gave us a peek at his apartment. He had restored the interior with Art Deco features and decor from the 1940's. Laura and I were inspired, and when I found this dresser, I thought it would be perfect for her new place.
I started the renovation by removing the old veneer from the drawer fronts. Most of the veneer could just be peeled off with with a metal painter's tool. I covered stickier parts of the drawer fronts with a moist towel and ironed on top. This helped to soften the remaining glue so I could remove the veneer easier. I used wood putty to fill in some of the gouges in the wood, then sanded down the drawers to a smooth finish. I also sanded the entire piece, coated it with danish oil, and covered it with a polycrylic finish.
The drawer design was the real fun part. I considered various designs, but settled on one that combined the colors in Laura's space with the bold geometric forms that are a staple of the Art Deco style. I first painted the drawers with a pink base color that I mixed from a selection of Annie Sloan Chalk paints. I created stencils of my design with card stock and traced the outline on the drawer fronts. I used yellow Frogtape to outline the design and painted the interior a light blue that I custom mixed. Mixing custom colors is easy with chalk paint, and I recommend it for creating unique colors that you cannot buy ready-made.
Gold Sharpie paint pen and a ruler to draw the line details on the drawers.
Devine Gold Paint from Target, which I used to paint the larger gold details on the drawer. How convenient!
wallpaper from Target. It has a gold and white geometric design that suits the style of the drawer fronts.