Sunday, November 8, 2015

Wood Crates as Shelving

I'm excited about this post because I am announcing the first Fletcher Finds and Designs Pop-up! That's right. On Saturday, November 21st, I will be setting up a sidewalk sale filled with re-furbished furniture, knick-knacks and fun finds for your house. My lovely childhood friend, Laura, will be hosting it at her place in Noe Valley. More details to come, but write it in your calendar now and hopefully I'll see you there!
In the next two weeks I will be blogging about some of the pieces you will see at my pop-up, the first being these aged, wood crates.
I spotted these beauties on the street in Alameda. They were in pretty rough shape, with rusty nails popping out and splintering wood; I'll admit, I almost left them for the next furniture schmuck. But I couldn't resist and took them home. The great thing about these is:
1) they were free
2) they didn't require much work
3) they can be used as mobile shelving or storage
When I got them home they needed a good cleaning and sanding. Then I reinforced the crates with some new nails and wood glue and finished by painting them with a coat of polycrylic.
The fabulous thing about these wood crates is that they have many uses. You can use them for storage: housing blankets, records or plants. You can use them as shelves for books, artwork or for your collection of rocks in jars(OK, maybe me and Diane Keaton's character in Something's Gotta Give are the only ones with a collection of rocks, but you never know). I think the styling of these crates should be called, "The Rustic Professor." I used a lot of James' things and tried to set the scene for his ideal afternoon: reading and drinking tea.
If you want this look to be yours, don't forget to come to the Pop-up on November 21st!

1 comment:

  1. Tempting! I'm sure Max would want them, if he wasn't 3000 miles away! Boo hoo

    ReplyDelete