Monday, October 3, 2016

New Furniture Projects and Pop-up

Hi Friends,
It's been a while since I wrote, and there is a lot to catch up on. I had Summer break, I played in the Ultimate World Championship in London(and my team won!) and I traveled in Edinburgh, Germany and Austria. It was a jam-packed trip and I'm realizing that jet-lag is a real thing. But I did find the energy to arrange another Pop-up Shop, with Laura's help, of course. What would I do without her?
This Pop-up was a lot of fun because we partnered with Laura's sister, Jennifer and her husband, Andy, who own and sell vintage posters(you can contact them at realoldpaper@gmail.com). Look how beautiful the designs are on these vintage posters? We selected pieces that complimented the colors in the furniture and I think it was a great pairing.
Some of the pieces of furniture were from our previous Sale but a few were new. One of the new pieces is a vintage dresser that a friend donated to me. It was a little rough when it was given to me, but it clearly had wonderful bones.
So I decided to just clean the drawer fronts, keeping the integrity of the wood grain and inlay detailing visible. I also cleaned the rust off of the metal drawer pulls with a mixture of lemon and baking soda, which worked pretty well. Here they are before, and you can tell in the after photos that they were a lot shinier afterwards.
The inside of the drawers were in rough shape, so I covered the bed of the drawers with a pretty contact paper I found at Target. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Finally, I painted the outer frame of the dresser with Annie Sloan's Graphite chalk paint and sealed it with a coat of wax.
You may have noticed the yarn wall art hanging above the dresser. It's such an easy DIY project to create on your own. I've been making some larger ones with different colors of yarn that I will share with you in another post soon and you can try making one too.
The other piece of furniture I wanted to share is this painted chair I found on the street. Here's what it looked like when I found it.
And here'e what I ended up doing to it. A little crazy, maybe?
I think it's fun and would work in the right setting, maybe as a desk chair for a fun kids room? What do you think? Is the detail on the seat too much?
Anyway, I hope to be blogging more often now that my Ultimate season is over and as always, let me know if you're interested in any of these pieces.
XO, Alden

2 comments:

  1. Didn't you sell that gorgeous dresser? Also, I like the chair. Think the seat is super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sold the blue and gold dresser, but still have this one. Thanks for the feedback about the chair :)

    ReplyDelete