Sunday, October 27, 2013

Unconventional Headboard

While grabbing a bite to eat on Fillmore, James eyed this folded, partially broken, wooden screen on the sidewalk. I couldn't help but be drawn to the hints of turquoise paint on the white shutter doors. Hmmm... what could be done with this?
Aha, Headboard makeover! We have a funky design in our bedroom, where there is a shelf that runs along the entire wall about 2 feet off the ground. It actually is quite useful as a built-in side table, that we can put lighting and books on. But it does make it hard to have a headboard.
Anyway, here is a before shot of our bedroom. You can see the "shelf" I'm talking about behind the bed. And you can admire our very college-esque photo display above the bed.
So, back to the screen idea. I cleaned off the dust and grime, and then removed the remaining broken door slats. Then James and I screwed it into the wall above the bed. James has always been nervous about hanging anything heavy above our bed(I guess that's valid when you live near a fault line) so we made sure it was really secure. And voila, we have a free and easy "headboard", made from an unconventional material. Now I need to get the rest of the bedroom in shape. One thing at a time... Oh, and shout-out to my mom for making those plaid pillowcases for us last Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment